Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Blue Sky



As I was riding my bike around Saint James City, here on Pine Island, in South Florida, the sky was so blue it almost hurt my eyes. I started thinking about the idea that what we see is not “real” but there is a reason why things appear the way they do.

For example, the reason the sky looks so blue is because as light move through the atmosphere, very little of the red, orange, and yellow light (longer wavelengths) is affected by it. Much more of the light with shorter wavelengths is absorbed by the gas molecules. Thus, blue light fills the sky, and some of it reaches my eyes, and the sky looks blue.

As I was riding and having these profound scientific ponderings, I began to hear a little jingle in my head. “If the sky is not blue, then who am I, and what are you?” I went automatically to a book I have written that is not yet been published. 

This drawing is by Meredith Bede Aldrich.
 Where Moon Go?

A look at
life and death
and other natural things
through a child’s eyes…

Did you ever wonder where someone
goes when he or she dies?

I did.

When my Daddy died, I wanted to know where he was and if
he was OK where he was.

I wanted to know what was REAL….

At first I did not know what it meant when I would hear a voice talking to me from inside my head as the moon slid behind a cloud or a tree or a building.
I would hear.
 “Where am I now?
It looks like I am gone,
but I am here….”
Even when what is real is very, very big
—like the moon—
false beliefs can be hard to change.
But where do people go when they die?
Adam said,
“It is like I am me and
I am inside this house.
(He pointed to his chest when he said this.)
When I die,
I leave the house
(He pointed to his chest again.)
but I am still me.”
But what is he?

And what am I?

And where do people go when they die?
Every living thing is made up of atoms.

(Not Adam!)

And energy cannot be created or destroyed.

If you're asking where it all came from in the first place,
that's a first class unanswered question.

Brad said when people die they live inside your heart.

It is like you can really talk to them inside your mind.

Go ahead. Ask a question.

And you will see that it is just like they really can answer you.

So, even though we might not know for sure where people go when they die, you can know for sure that part of them is right here where you are.

Because the moon has not gone anywhere.

It is still right where it was.

Even when we cannot see it.


The End
And
A New Beginning