Monday, December 8, 2014

Special Memories



You can close your eyes to reality, but not to memories.
~ Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

Cleaning out my cupboard where I keep scarves and jewelry was the way I spent a few hours this afternoon. I slowly turned a pair of clip-on earrings and a broach that belonged to my mom over and over in my hand before getting a thin piece of sticky paper and writing her name on them. At some point, I will not be here and I wanted to be sure someone would know these items had been hers, and thus meant a lot to me. 

A classic mood ring from the 80's was ceremoniously slipped onto my little finger as I continued sorting and organizing. I let my mind drift back through my yesteryears. Yes, memories are connected to our things, but it is not the things that really matter. That lesson came vividly to my mind a few days ago when I received a call from a woman who had lost her wedding rings and wondered if hypnosis might help her find them. As we talked about possible outcomes, she agreed that the rings are symbolic of what she values: the love and connection with her husband. 

Matthew 6:19 (Christian New Testament) addresses the difference between the things and what has real value: "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal." The love and connection cannot be stolen or lost. Those are still there, wherever her rings are!


The rune symbols on this special pair of earrings gifted to me by my business partner, Joel, spoke clearly to my heart. I remembered how runic alphabets were commonly used in Germanic languages before the Latin alphabet was adopted. Today, rune stones are used as a form of divination. Asking a question and letting the symbolism answer can allow you to gain significant insight. Many of my journal entries over the past years as Joel and I wrote and taught and worked diligently to serve humanity together have included a rune drawing.


This friendship bracelet was a gift to me from my childhood friend (Connie Churchill) for my twelfth birthday. Even though 1962 was a very long time ago, and I do not wear them now, the bracelet, mood ring, and rune earrings are all nestled carefully back into the old wooden jewelry box my dad gave me for Christmas when I was a child. 

Each of these items is highly symbolic of valuable love and connections. 

For that love and those connections, I remain deeply grateful…. 

You can tell by the bright blue of my mood ring!