Friday, December 19, 2014

Be Present




It is said that a picture is worth a thousand words: certainly true about this revised holiday to-do list. Your priorities are set straight with such simple shifts of awareness. The first one (Be Present) reminds me of our relationship with our grandchildren. They do not expect presents from us. EVER. They see us as grandparents for whom presence is the priority. 

Sending peace certainly is appropriate right now. The news is filled with opportunities. 

This year, putting people first seems especially significant as so many are in so much pain. Some are experiencing serious illness, others have lost loved ones. One of my nephews is in prison; another is gradually putting his life back together by getting sober.

Most days my heart feels like it is breaking open. Everywhere I look I see treasures. Some of those treasures are material: a safe home, a beautiful new office space that I share with my sister, and a new bed! More meaningful than words are the relationships with family, friends, my spiritual community, and co-workers. 



A special friend said she realized if her life were to end right now, she would know she had experienced a wonderful life. I think you understand that feeling. She went on to tearfully say she is not ready to die, and as a cancer survivor, she is now living her life more fully. 

Each day, it is good to remember, thing nothing lasts forever. Not buildings nor bodies. Perhaps the precious, sacred, temporary nature of everything is what allows you to value it all as gift. Makes me want to wrap my beloved in a hug. 

May all beings find peace. Especially now....

Today

Today I am aware I am here
May I be here
May I be aware
May I make today worth living

Tomorrow may bring unwanted changes
Or dreams come true

One thing is certain, though,
Our world is blessed by YOU
Today