Monday, November 18, 2013

Storms




Tonight I am thinking of the many people who lost their homes (or loved ones) in the scores of tornadoes that slammed through the Midwest yesterday. It brings to mind when our friends, Roger and Sharon, lost their home along with every other family in their home town of Firth, Nebraska, May 22, 2004. 

Here the storm left my 90 year-old mother-in-love without electricity, so she is here with us. We were watching news and looking at some of the devastation on the internet. It is amazing how fortunate you feel when you see what others are experiencing. 


I certainly am aware of how blessed I was with the surgery I went through last year. Yes, I had a very large (21 cm) ovarian growth removed, and, yes, I had post surgical complications that resulted in my spending some time in high rent district (intensive care).



If you would like to be inspired, watch this TED talk by branding guru Stacey Kramer. It is three minutes long, and inspirational in both its brevity and its punch. Nobody wishes for adversity but sometimes it is a profound teacher. 

Tonight the thing that I am most aware of is how the human spirit survives the storms of life
far more than one might think possible.