Monday, April 29, 2013

Just Ducky



It has not quite yet been a month since we arrived back home in Michigan. Today I am somewhere beneath the hustle and bustle of the world of spring and window cleaning business. The sun did come out to lure me away from my lists of tasks. A pair of ducks seemed grateful the April showers of the past couple of weeks had left a puddle about the size of a two-car garage on the property at the corner. They were not so sure I meant them no harm, and much quacking between them made me think one of them must have told the other, "Get out of the water. Now!" 

Waddling along the edge of the puddle, she was the first to slip back into the water. I am guessing he was the one who had given the warning, much like the Lost in Space robot's calling, "Danger, Will Robinson!"

But taking her lead, he soon joined her, with an still-ever-so-subtle attention to my whereabouts. 

In my mind I am watching the two ducks who often come to visit outside my window so I wonder why they did not recognize me as the one who watches them with a heart full of wonder and a fist full of corn. 

As a tribute to all of nature, including my own human nature, I will share a poem.


I Found A Feather


I found a feather on the ground
Who left it there for me?
Was it a gift of yonder god
To see if I can see?

Do I miss the other gifts
While busy in my head?
Planning what I still will do
Rehearsing what was said?

I pray I find
One soon fine day
I am right where I am

I put the feather by my bed
As I lie down to sleep
I dreamt of love so sweet
Indeed, it nearly made me weep

Now when I look up to the sky
Each winged one I spy
I pretend within my heart
I know the reason why
 
That lovely feather came to me
To call me to my heart
That I may live in peace and calm
Today's the day I'll start!

2/5/2013 by Debra Basham

"All ducks have a grace upon water, and as a totem they can help you to handle your own emotions with greater grace and comfort. They serve to teach you how to maneuver through various waters of life. Many psychologists and therapists could do no better than to have a duck as a totem to assist them in helping others move through their emotional tangles." (Ted Andrews, Animal-Speak, p. 136) 

May today be the day all beings start to live in peace and calm. That will be just ducky!