Thursday, April 11, 2013

Hands and Hearts



Every day I say prayers for those I know are going through challenges of life. Sometimes is it for one of my grandchildren, navigating the potholes along the road from childhood. I maintain contact with friends and with colleagues and several "prayer circles" so I often share those requests for support. Prayer has been second nature to me, but since my own surgery in November, I realize how palpable that healing intention is. 

Today I received a tender, touching, intimate photo of a my friend, holding the hand of her gravely ill thirty-something daughter. I can only imagine the agony of sitting bedside day-after-day, longing for a liver transplant, yet knowing that today your child is too ill to receive the very organ that is the hope for her life to be a viable option.

The following poem was written to honor my dear friend and her beautiful daughter, two women for whom I pray today. Two women whose hands and hearts are entwined in this sacred journey of their souls. It is a journey too profound for words.

Heart Breaking

Sitting here holding your hand
Heart breaking
Can you hear me calling you, asking you to stay a while
Where are you
Do you still dream

My mind wanders, but there is nowhere to go
Escape is not possible

Tears falling from my eyes
Heart breaking
Do you know I am here with you
I am here
I still dream