Saturday, August 11, 2012

Operation Smile



"Is the Universe a friendly place?"

Albert Einstein considered this question to be the most important question a person can ask. Today the only answer I can honestly give is, "YES!"

This past Monday I was in San Antonio, Texas, teaching "Out of Fear, Into Health: Anchoring as Healing Modality." Tuesday we drove 850 miles, arriving in Sikeston, Missouri, about 8:30 in the evening, Fortunately, our accommodations were acceptable because we had chosen a destination we had stayed at in 2011, but we were weary from our 14 hours drive, and we had not yet had dinner

I thought I remembered having enjoyed a nice meal an easy walking distance from the hotel when we had stayed there last year, but we found out I was mistaken. Disappointment, coupled with the lack of what we considered desirable choices, developed into an awkward conversation with the folks at the front desk. 

Still unsure about where we could have dinner, and both tired and hungry, while unpacking essentials for the night, we got cross with one another over where to park the vehicle, and Joel was very annoyed as he blurted out, "It's not worth arguing over!"


Feeling responsible for both of us, I dredged up the memory of a sign I saw out on the highway, searched Google on my iPhone, confirmed directions with the folks at the front desk, and we walked the half-mile to Lambert's Cafe, where the motto is, "We hope you come hungry, leave full, and hopefully have a laugh or two!"


If I had been thinking more clearly, I might have realized sooner I had been to a Lambert's Cafe in Gulf Shores, Alabama, a few years ago, but by the time we were seated, it was too late. I thought Joel might cry when he ordered a beer and was told they do not serve alcohol. Add to that, they throw hot yeast rolls at you from across the room! (See http://www.throwedrolls.com/) 

OK, I confess that I sent my daughter, Stacey, and my nephew, Chris (the one who took us to Lambert's in Alabama), a quick text message letting them know we had arrived safely in Sikeston, that we were at Lambert's Cafe, and that Joel did not have on his happy face.... 
This building was right next to the motel. 
I noticed the sign as we came back from Lambert's.
Even though we had enjoyed wonderful experiences and made great connections at the conference, the mood continued to be less than blissful the following day. We checked out, loaded up, and got on the road for another 600 miles. Less than an hour from Michigan, when we stopped to buy gas, we had another stressful communication glitch about which gas station to go to! Looking back, I can see how my snappy, "OK, just blame me for everything. It is always my fault!" was an emotional overreaction to Joel's use of active voice, coupled with the carry-over tension, and the stress of the travel. (See more about active and passive voice in the most recent "Language Tip" on the new Subtle Communication Systems website at http://scs-matters.com/the-power-of-voice/)

But, the universe is a friendly place, and life is always inviting us back into balance. We do have the opportunity time and time again to remember what is real. Just as we got back on the highway, Joel passed a semi truck advertising a charity organization that helps treat facial deformities such as cleft lips and cleft palates. A child looking much like the one above, and the name of that organization, was spelled across the whole length of that truck: 


At the exact moment we were passing the Operation Smile truck, I could also see a billboard to the left of the highway advertising some dental group: "Get your smile back." 

Today, as a way of honoring how life is working for me, I told all this to some of my colleagues in Reunion Ministry.  I also mentioned a wonderful You Tube video about a little girl having a great time loving everything about her life. I told them I would send the link if I could find it. 

When I got home from the reunion, and played the video, I noticed an ad on the screen. If you look closely, you will see that the ad is for operation smile...  

OK, God, we get it!  The universe truly is a friendly place.