Sunday, July 29, 2012

Meaningful Conversation: Body Dialogue


When we live from the heart, we can hear.
~ Jennifer McLean

Have you ever wondered what in the world it means when someone says to live from (or come from or be in) the heart? This week I had the wonderful opportunity to enjoy listening to an audio presentation by Jennifer McLean, of "Healing with the Masters." This particular segment featured what Jennifer calls body dialoguing. If you are already familiar with the Imagine Healing process, you will recognize the similarity and the benefits. (See http://www.ImagineHealing.info)

I was so excited because I had a client coming in to work on "presence" as she undergoes some physical challenges. I knew she would find this process insightful and enjoy the freedom that comes from simply being with a thought or a feeling or a sensation—having a meaningful conversation with your genuine self. 
 
Before I share the steps, ponder a quotation from Jennifer, "Everything that is here is something I requested for my evolution." 

When an individual is experiencing an upset, a health crisis, or even something as simple as a sensation, you can learn to be present with yourself in ways that will allow healing and transformation. I admit that I added the suggestion that you notice the color. Since everything in our world is made up of color, and we see color everywhere in our world, this is an important (and powerful) addition, and it is used in the Imagine Healing process.  

  1. Where do I feel this in my body? What does it look like? What does it feel like? Cold? Hot? Tense? Color? Shape?  
  2.  Say: I am present with you. I am listening. I am not going anywhere. Be present in a space of support.
  3.  Ask: How have you served me? What is the purpose of your being here?
  4.  Discover: What was the thought in your head just before the upset/accident? (This can be recognized as some sort of fear.) 
  5.   Ask: Who planted that fear? How old were you when you had the first thought life was not safe? 
  6.  Bring your attention to that former you at that age.  The current you is going to be the adult now (higher self). Let that little one purge the emotion as the adult you holds the space; nodding, rocking, stroking —being there in support. 
  7.  Now ask your body part and the little one (simultaneously): What do you need now? Jennifer says it will usually be a “god” quality. (Connirae Andreas identified these as core states in Core Transformations.) 
  8.   Ask: What would the full expression of this need look like and feel like right now? Feel it. Allow it. 
  9.  Ask: What would it feel like and look like six months from now as you are fully living this quality? Feel this and allow this.

As you appreciate these feelings, you might want to check in with the body part and test for more needs so you can repeat the process if other needs are expressed. It is so exciting that we are more and more choosing to free ourselves from painful perceptions. One of my favorite authors, Mark Nepo, writes that "the energy of the world floods through whatever moment we dare to enter fully."



Wonderfully, a few days after listening to the presentation and the same day I had been with the client I shared this body dialogue exercise with, I experienced some pain in my foot. It was in the middle of my left foot—and the painful sensation was very deep, not on the surface at all. It was between my toes and the ball of my foot, and it was excruciating. I found it challenging to walk but it was painful even when I was not moving.

I was grateful you can remember to breathe. I began to just notice the sensation and affirm that I was willing to be present with it. When you do that, you are able to resist making up anything about it. I began to hold the intention: I am present with you. I am listening. I am not going anywhere

Although I hobbled up and down the stairs several times, before I went to bed  the sensation had totally vanished. What a wonderful process to remember and use and appreciate. Imagine healing that easily!