Saturday, August 22, 2015

Perspective of the Million Dollar Mind



 
Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.
~ Carlos Santayana

Last Sunday a friend emailed some information from an international financial analyst pointing to a severe correction in the stock market coming very soon. Everything in me wanted to call our investment manager Monday morning and tell him to get us out of the market for a while. In 2007, sharing my concerns with our previous investment manager about a similar warning resulted in my having been made to feel that my worries were unfounded. Feeling insecure, I did nothing back then, and we lost money we had worked hard to save for our retirement. 

Monday morning I did nothing about the nudges I felt to make that call. In short, I ignored the gnawing feeling, then watched the market lose about ten percent in two days. 

My post is not about finances, but it is about changes in perspective.

Notice what you see in this amazing pencil prayer by my dear artist friend Carol L. Myers.

As I ponder what I see, I remind myself it is not helpful to beat myself up about the stocks.

I recall the message I received from spirit following the 2008 losses. "Debra, you know your security is not dependent upon the stock market." 

This greater consciousness is consistent with Steve Siebold's "Million Dollar Mind" process, in which he contrasts "World Class" perspective with "Middle Class" thinking:

1.     The Middle Class competes…The World Class creates
2.     The Middle Class avoids risk…The World Class manages risk
3.     The Middle Class lives in delusion…The World Class lives in objective reality
4.     The Middle Class loves to be comfortable…The World Class is comfortable being uncomfortable
5.     The Middle Class has a lottery mentality…The World Class has an abundance mentality
6.     The Middle Class hungers for security…The World Class doesn't believe security exists
7.     The Middle Class sacrifices growth for safety…The World Class sacrifices safety for growth
8.     The Middle Class operates from fear and scarcity…The World Class operates from love and abundance
9.     The Middle Class sees themselves as victims…The World Class sees themselves as responsible
10. The Middle Class slows down…The World Class calms down

Mark Twain may have said it best, “October: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August and February.”

I don't know for sure what the future of the stock market holds. No one does. However, we do know for sure we can choose to cultivate World Class behaviors. We can nurture an abundance mentality, managing risk, and living in reality. We can operate from love and abundance, calm down, and see ourselves as responsible. We can even be comfortable being uncomfortable. 

This certainly beats hungering for security and living in fear and scarcity. 

Look again at the same pencil prayer, this time from the horizontal view. Notice the peaceful images that emerge automatically with just a slight change in perspective. 


 It has been my habit to let Carol's work share my desk with me until it seems the many messages tucked within have been received. This one is about ready to move to my altar.