Tuesday, July 21, 2015

If You Only Hand One Year to Live



Over lunch with some like-minded friends earlier today, I mentioned the home work for a writers' intensive I had just completed a few moments before joining them. One of the group is moving back to Canada after living here for twenty-seven years. I don't see her often, but I will miss knowing I might see her any time soon.
Take a poll online. 
Designed for your discovering what motivates you, part of the homework process was based on a post by Mark Manson (touted as an author, thinker, and life enthusiast). 

Mark's 7 Strange Questions That Help You Find Your Life Purpose started out with "What's your favorite flavor of shit sandwich?" The point he was making is that even when you do what you love, there may be parts of that you do not enjoy. The list of questions ended with "If you knew you were going to die one year from today, what would you do and how would you want to be remembered?" 

When I put the phrase "If I only had one year to live" into a Google search, about 540,000,000 results came up! We are not alone thinking about things like this. 

That is why I write. To share what has meaning in life is what has meaning in life. 

My answer to the first question is: Some people I love die. I discovered that years ago. Not all, but some, and I open my heart to be broken again and again. 

My answer to the last question is: I would do what I am doing now, with even less sense of urgency. Being in the present moment would allow one year to feel like forever. 

Whatever is up for you right in you life right now, you might appreciate the insights to be gained by Mark's strange questions. 

Click here to access all seven questions. For sure, what has meaning is worth thinking about….