Friday, January 10, 2014

The Gift of Service



The gift of our serving others also blesses us. A teacher/friend of mine said our service also serves us. We are not talking about tit-for-tat. What we receive does not always come from the source to which we had given. I remember an experience I had about all of this a number of years ago, over a Labor Day weekend.
I had a wedding and a private consultation scheduled. On Thursday of that week I got a call that the wedding had been cancelled. On Friday, I also got a call cancelling the session. I hated to lose the income, but you do your best to be intentional about soulful living and so I noticed the thought, "I wonder what my time is being opened up for."
Early Tuesday morning I was sitting in my living room—still in my nightgown—enjoying a cup of tea and some time for reflection. Our windows were open, and a gentle breeze of late summer air was filtering in with the quiet. Everything I was experiencing was busy easing my senses when I thought I heard someone calling my name.
Leaning into the sound, again I heard, "Debra..." almost a moan.
It seemed to be coming from the kitchen, so I got up to go look out into our backyard. I saw a friend of ours who stored her jet-ski trailer on our property. She was hunched over on the ground calling out my name!
Still in my nightclothes, I flew out the door and over to her. As I approached, I could see her left hand lying lifelessly in the palm of her right. No small amount of blood was oozing out of one finger, and when I looked more closely you could not avoid seeing the bone. The weight of the trailer had gotten away from her, and her hand had been crushed between the ball on the hitch and the door of our utility barn.
I quickly shut off her car, grabbed her purse, and helped her into my van. I hurriedly pulled on some sweats when I ran into the house to get my keys and rushed her to the hospital. She had no family in our town, so I stayed with her in the emergency room. When they took her into surgery, I was allowed to gown up and be with her throughout the procedure. As they worked to repair her mangled finger, I was calmly doing Healing Touch™. The surgeon said to me, “If I ever needed to have surgery, I would love to have you there with me.”

When my friend was out of post-op and settled into her hospital room, I did more energy work with her, and she slipped into a restful sleep. I was thinking about the privilege of having been there for her as I drove home.

Checking phone messages, I discovered while at the hospital working with my friend, I received a call from an area church asking me to speak. The speaker’s fee was exactly the same dollar amount as the wedding and the consultation would have been!

Having spent my day of service in a way I could not have even imagined, I mused about the way "As you give, so shall you receive."
(From Osho Transformational Tarot)