Saturday, February 16, 2013

D-A-R-K




There are two ways to be fooled.
One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
Søren Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Several years ago, I wrapped up my two year-old grandson, Adam, and carried him outside to see an amazing starry sky. As he looked up into that vast night sky, he said only one word—D-A-R-K. As magnificent as those stars were that night, and even thought at the time I did not realize it, he must have not been able to comprehend the stars. All he experienced was darkness. 

Today I have been reading Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife, by Eben Alexander, M.D. I cannot say the information is new to me, but the words have certainly been soothing to my soul. A line from the book inspired this blog. “Imagine how limited our view of the universe would be if we never saw the star-spangled nighttime sky.” (p. 72) 

I find my emotions jarred, once again a nagging wondering about what I have done to cause stress in relationship with someone I care deeply about. In the absence of an understanding, I am left to imagine all manner of possibilities. One difference this time is a haunting sense that there is some profound healing gift amidst the emotions—an unwinding of a pattern deep from within my unconscious.

I am writing a lot while I am here on Pine Island. I am also discovering an identity as a writer. After I read some of my work to my sister, Janis, I cried and said, “I think I finally know who I am!” Earlier this week I read How to Work with an Illustrator in which Cary Tennis says the creative process can trigger unresolved inner child issues. It makes sense, but I had not previously put the two together.

One of the threads of Proof of Heaven touched me deeply. Eben had been adopted because his birth mom had only been 16 when he was born, just a sophomore in high school. This is exactly the age and grade I was when my daughter, Stacey, was born.

In spite of his happy life with his adoptive family, Eben also felt a nagging to know what had become of his biological parents. An adult with children of his own, he discovered his biological mother and father had later married and then had several children so he had blood siblings!

After he was adopted, his adoptive parents conceived and had a daughter they named Betsy. Imagine his surprise that one of his biological sisters was also named Betsy. Incidentally, both women married men named Rob, but I will not give the rest of the story away because you might enjoy reading the book.

The coincidence of the girls named Betsy touched me partially because we recently discovered my father had an older sister named Mary Ellen who died before he was five years old, and we had a sister who was born prematurely and only lived five days. My sister had been named Mary Ellen…. Now we wonder if my folks named our baby sister after my dad's own sister who had died.

While in a deep coma for six days, Eben Alexander says he went to heaven where he learned profound truths that changed his life. I will let you be the judge of how much they change life, but here are a few of those "truths" that resonated with me:

"You are loved and cherished, dearly, forever."
"You have nothing to fear."
"There is nothing you can do wrong." (p. 41)
Ultimately, none of us are orphans. We are all in the position I was, in that we have other family: beings who are watching and looking out for us—beings we have momentarily forgotten but who, if we open ourselves to their presence, are waiting to help us navigate our time here on earth. None of us are ever unloved. Each and every one of us is deeply known and cared for by a Creator who cherishes us beyond any ability we have to comprehend.(p. 96)

I may still be waiting to have those truths completely chase the ghosts of fear of abandonment from my thoughts and feelings as I find my place in the world as a writer. For sure I have already been drawing comfort from an increasing sense of angels as guides, and so for now I will take these words from the book into my heart and mind.

Meanwhile, it is my prayer that angels will be enough to have me wait patiently for my dear friend to navigate the deep emotional waters of life. Of course angels are helping with that, too...

Visions of Sharon, painting by my dear friend, Dahlis Roy.