Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Welcome Change



This past weekend I was fortunate to attend a fall meditation retreat at the Howell Nature Center. To allow us to enjoy being in a more timeless place than is practical in our everyday lives, bells are rung for “wake-up” and at mealtimes, and five minutes before group gatherings. Since I am an early-morning riser, and not everyone is, I signed up for ringing the wake-up bell at 5:55 a.m. on both Saturday and Sunday.  


I got dressed, and after walking slowly throughout the lodge softly ringing the bell, I had time for a walk out in pre-dawn quiet. The first morning, moments after stepping out-of-doors, I was thrilled to hear owl! I could tell it was not far from where I was, and I stood very still for a few moments just listening. This was especially tender as I have so recently enjoyed reading the story of Wesley the Owl. (see the previous blog post)

This retreat was my second with the Deep Spring Meditation Center group, and this time change happened. We had an opportunity to meet with the instructors, and to ask questions about our meditation practice. People asked about seeing colors or having body sensations (such as tingling along the spine), or perhaps hearing music or sensing a presence. 

I asked for help with a frustrating habit of mind (counting) during my walking meditation. I was given a very simple suggestion to use a rotating focus during my meditation. Begin paying attention to what you are hearing, and make a mental note of “hearing.” Then shift your attention to your posture—sitting or standing or walking, and make a mental note of “sitting.” The next focus would be on “touching.” I noticed my hands on my lap or my feet on the ground, or the hair against my forehead. Next, the focus would be on the breath, with the mental note of “breathing.” 

This allows you to observe not only what has your primary focus, but it also allows you to become aware of the predominant focus. As I had noticed when I was doing walking meditation, my predominant focus was on that inner voice which kept counting. The teaching of this particular form of meditation (Vipassana or Insight or Mindfulness) is to allow what is in your awareness, not to try to resist it, but to just lovingly acknowledge it. This reminds me of a young child who was insistent on getting your attention. Ignoring him or her only generates more insistence! 

The suggestion I was given was to simply notice the counting and say to myself, “Breathing in I am aware of counting. Breathing out I smile to counting.”  Now, mind you, I had been struggling with this habit of mind for years. One time doing this gentle act of awareness, the counting stopped. What a welcome change....


Oh, the owl that I so enjoyed hearing was one of several who are part of the Wild Wonders Wildlife Park at the nature center. The Howell Conference & Nature Center has been caring for wild birds and mammals since 1982.
  
You can use this process with emotions like fear, anger, frustration, or with behaviors like judging, criticizing, worrying. You can do it with basic mind habits like thinking, remembering, planning  The next time you become aware of an unhelpful habit of mind or body, prove to yourself it works. “Breathing in I am aware of­­­­_____. Breathing out I smile to_____.”
 
The welcome change is something worth being grateful for.