Sunday, June 24, 2012

Retreat


Be still, and the world is bound to turn herself inside out to entertain you.
Everywhere you look, joyful noise is clanging to drown out quiet desperation.

High Tide in Tucson, by Barbara Kingsolver

When I was a youngster, I absolutely loved going to camp. There was something surreal about the experience, and the setting. I loved the connection to God I felt there. I felt that same thing last week as June 16-18, 2012, I was able to attend a three-day meditation retreat. We arrived on Saturday shortly after lunch. My dear friend, Claudia Mierau, has been attending this particular meditation retreat for about nine years. She and I were assigned to the same room so we brought in our luggage, and Claudia showed me around, introducing me to others she has known over the years. I had the sense that we were all a bit like children in our excitement and anticipation.

The retreat was held at The Emrich Retreat Center at Parishfield—nestled among 5,000 acres of state park land in Brighton, Michigan.

The Emrich Retreat Center at Parishfield in Brighton, Michigan.
We gathered for an opening session in the meditation hall (held in the chapel), and each person introduced him- or herself, sharing a bit about our meditation experience, and telling if we had previously attended this specific retreat.

There was a wonderful mix of newbies and veterans, and I found some of the stories of what brought each of us there very touching. Easy conversation was shared over dinner—especially sweet as we all knew that once we entered the evening gathering we would all be in "noble silence" for the balance of the retreat. Being silent allows you to have your concentration on your practice of mindfulness as you walk, shower, open and close doors, do our work assignments, etc. I am not new to the practice of silence, but this was the largest group (maybe 50 people) and the longest time frame (3 days), and I found it to be a welcome and wonderful gift to body, mind, and spirit. 

During the interview process with the teachers, I was given the suggestion of focusing especially on walking meditation during the free-time for practice. I was blessed to enjoy my practice in a marvelous labyrinth in the meadow near our dorm.



One of the first "lessons" came as I watched a bee drawing nectar from a buckhorn. In my mind, I was aware of the way I have experienced jealousy when other teachers have audience and fame. It was as though I was aware of an intrinsic knowing of the bee as to where to be. Deep peace came to my heart as I let that truth seep into my wounded perspectives of not being recognized or valued. Each awareness blessed me more and more deeply as the silence allowed me to witness my own inner states with compassion. 

According to the chef, the labyrinth was home to fourteen varieties of dragonflies!
One exercise was particularly profound. To see beyond the mundane, we were encouraged to look with defocused eyes or if we wore them to take off our glasses. I took my glasses off and spent the next hour walking in the labyrinth with that soft focus, seeing just the outlines of shapes and colors (big picture), rather than being focused on the details. 

When I got to the center, I put my glasses back on and the beauty of the detail of the wildflowers nearly took my breath away! 


I came away from my time at Emrich with a profound sense of inner peace. I will do my best to recall the experiences I had there and to make time to practice that holy awareness every day. What gift you give to the world when you can do that... and what gift you receive!